This recipe is a fall favorite! Thank you so much to Bushra Atisha for sharing your recipe!
The pictures show a combination of beef oxtails, beef chuck roast, and lamb chops. This recipe is usually made with all beef but sometimes Bushra replaces 1/3 of the beef with lamb for flavor.
Serves 6 - 8
3 lbs of meat with bones - Beef oxtail, chuck roast, lamb chop or lamb shank
1 1/2 cup of barley
1/2 cup of red/orange split lentils
1 cup dried chick peas
5 teaspoons of salt
1 (12 cup) pot of boiling water
1 (10 qt) Pot
Preheat oven 280 Degrees F
1. Fill 10 Qt pot about a third full with with water- bring to a boil over medium heat
2. Add meat and cook for ten minutes
3. Mix barley, lentils, and chick peas in bowl and wash/rinse thoroughly with water, drain the water and set aside.
3. Drain cooking water from the pot of boiing meat
4. Add 12 cups of boiling water to the pot
5. Add the mixed barley, lentils, and chick peas to the pot
6. Add salt and stir
7. Place pot in preheated oven for 6 hours - Stir every 2 hours
8. Take out of oven, stir mixture, and begin pulling out bones and disposing of them
9. When all bones have been removed - Stir for about 5 minutes to break down barley and separate any meat that is still together
10. Add salt to taste (this recipe may be light on the salt to some).
11. If you like your hareesa thinner, add some boiling water and salt if necessary. When reheating, you may need to add some water as it will thicken.