This recipe is a fall favorite! Thank you so much to Bushra Atisha for sharing your recipe!
The pictures show a combination of beef oxtails, beef chuck roast, and lamb chops. This recipe is usually made with all beef but sometimes Bushra replaces 1/3 of the beef with lamb for flavor.
Serves 6 - 8
3 lbs of meat with bones - Beef oxtail, chuck roast, lamb chop or lamb shank
1 1/2 cup of barley (Pearl or Habia type)
1/2 cup of red/orange split lentils (can replace with 1/2 cup more barley)
1 cup dried chick peas
5 teaspoons of salt
You will need an 8 quart pot with oven safe handles.
Preheat oven 280 Degrees F
1. Fill pot about a third full with with water- bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Add meat and cook for ten minutes.
3. Mix barley, lentils, and chick peas in bowl and wash/rinse thoroughly with water, drain the water and set aside.
3. Drain cooking water from the pot with meat.
4. Add 12 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil over the stove.
5. Add the mixed barley, lentils, and chick peas to the pot.
6. Add salt and stir.
7. Place pot in preheated oven for 6 hours - Stir every 2 hours.
8. Take out of oven, stir mixture, and begin pulling out bones and disposing of them.
9. When all bones have been removed - Stir for about 5 minutes to break down barley and separate any meat that is still together.
10. Add more salt to taste if needed.
11. If you like your hareesa thinner, add some boiling water and salt if necessary. When reheating, you may need to add some water as it will thicken.